Tapestry of Renfrewshire Timeline Home | The Panels | Events | Stitching | Donate | History Timeline | Social Wall | Gallery | Contact Us

Tapestry of Renfrewshire Timeline



To view an individual timeline for a modern day part of the old County of Renfrew, please select below:

DateCountyPlacenameEvent
BCEast RenfrewshireBarrheadBrythonic Celts in Levern Valley
c 3000BCInverclydeKilmacolmSettlement of Knapps Homestead
c 100BCInverclydeKilmacolmCastle Hill Hillfort
c 100BCInverclydeKilmacolmCraigmarloch Hillfort
c 100BCInverclydeKilmacolmElphinestone Wood Hillfort
c 100BCInverclydeKilmacolmCreuch Hillfort
ADEast RenfrewshireBarrheadDamnonil at Fereneze; Maeatae on Mearns Moor. (Tacitus)
80 ADInverclydeKilmacolmBarrochan Roman Fort occupied by Agricola
c 500 - 599 6th Cen.East RenfrewshireBarrheadSt Conval. St. Fernum. Settlement at Fereneze
c 500 - 599 6th Cen.East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthur Pyndragon in the Levern Valley
c 580RenfrewshirePaisleySt Mirin arrives in Paisley
c 700 - 899InverclydeKilmacolmMissionary monk settles in Kilmacolm, (Macolm?)
c 900 - 1000East RenfrewshireNeilstonCross erected at Lyoncross near Neilston
c 1000 - 1099InverclydeKilmacolmRalph de I'Isle & Danziel are given the area by Walter fitz Alan and take control of lands and church.
c 1150InverclydeKilmacolmChurch of Kilmacolm given to Paisley Abbey
c 1150InverclydeKilmacolmKnapps Homestead re-settled by farmers
c 1150InverclydeKilmacolmSquire of Duchal Castle killled by supernatural apparition. Described by monk of Lannercost Priory
1157RenfrewshirePaisleyKing Malcolm IV granted a charter to Walter, the son of Alan, High Steward of Scotland which confirmed a gift conferred on Walter by David I. The gift included lands at 'Passeleth'.
1161East RenfrewshireNeilstonName "Neilston" becomes known.
1163RenfrewshirePaisleyWalter Fitzalan from Shropshire appointed High Steward of Scotland by David I.
1163RenfrewshirePaisleyA priory was founded at Paisley (later Paisley Abbey) by Walter, High Steward of Scotland. The priory was of the Cluniac order with its first monks coming from the priory of Wenlock in Shropshire. It was around this building that the town, originally called Paslet grew.
1170InverclydeInverkipSheriff of Lanark appointed
1170East RenfrewshireBarrheadSir Robert de Croc granted fief of Levern Valley.
1170East RenfrewshireBarrheadConstruction of Crookston Castle Underway on earlier site of a Hill Fort
1170East RenfrewshireBarrheadNeilston Parish emerges as an administrative unit
1172East RenfrewshireEagleshamRobert de Montgomerie and High Steward died. Robert had obtained the manor of Eaglesham from the High Steward
1180East RenfrewshireBarrheadLazar House founded by Sir Robert de Croc between Crookston and Neilston, probably at Chappell.
1180East RenfrewshireNeilstonLazar House founded by Sir Robert de Croc between Crookston and Neilston, probably at Chappell.
1188InverclydeInverkipInverkip Church Built
1200East RenfrewshireBarrheadMarion de Croc married to Walter, grandson of the High Steward.
1245RenfrewshirePaisleyThe priory at Paisley, founded in 1163, was raised to the status of abbey.
1271East RenfrewshireBarrheadMaccusville granted Farm of Dubbs.
1294East RenfrewshireBarrheadThomas, the Brewer in Salterland Farm.
1301InverclydeInverkipInverkip Castle
1307RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Abbey was burned by the English and was not rebuilt until the 15th century.
1314East RenfrewshireBarrheadBannockburn. Men of Levern present under the High Steward.
1316RenfrewshirePaisleyMarjory Bruce, wife of the High Steward of Scotland, was thrown from her horse and killed at Knock Hill, Paisley. A memorial cross was erected at the spot. This was destroyed in 1779.
1350East RenfrewshireBarrheadBlack Death in the Levern Valley.
15th CenturyRenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Abbey was rebuilt during the 15th century.
15th CenturyEast RenfrewshireUplawmoorMid 15th century Caldwell Tower built.
1406RenfrewshirePaisleyKing Robert III died and was buried in Paisley Abbey.
1425InverclydeKilmacolmStart of longest feud in Scottish history between Cunninghame of Finlaystone and the Montgomerys of Eglington
1449East RenfrewshireBarrheadAlexander Stewart of Rais. Tower of Rais in existence.
1452East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie Estate in possession of Walter Stewart of Darnley.
1477East RenfrewshireBarrheadLands of Glanderston in possession of Sir John Maxwell of Pollok.
1478InverclydePort GlasgowNewark Castle was built by George Maxwell on the banks of the River Clyde, at what is now Port Glasgow.
1488RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley was made a burgh of barony. This allowed it full control over its own trade, including the right to hold a weekly market on Mondays, and two annual public fairs. One on the day of St Mirren, and the other on the day of St Marnoch.
1488InverclydeKilmacolmAlexander Cunninghame given earldom, dies at Battle of Sauchieburn two weeks later.
1489RenfrewshirePaisleyKing James IV visited Paisley during military operations.
1489InverclydeKilmacolmLord Lyle of Duchal rebels against King James IV
1489InverclydeKilmacolmJames IV approaches Duchal Castle with men and Cannon (Mons Meg or duchal?) Duchal's curtain wall and keep destroyed.
1493InverclydeKilmacolmJames IV visits Duchal Castle to see his mistress Marion Boyd: His illegitimate son Alexander Stewart is born there.
1504 - 07RenfrewshirePaisleyKing James IV visited Paisley twice during this period whilst conducting military operations.
1507East RenfrewshireBarrheadJohn Spreul graduates from Glasgow University.
1513East RenfrewshireBarrheadFlodden Field. Men of Levern present.
1528East RenfrewshireEagleshamManor house of Eglinton burnt to the ground by Cunningham
1530East RenfrewshireThornliebankHugh Montgomery, Master of Eglinton, granted the lands in and around Thornliebank, described as Birkenshaw in title deeds.
1556InverclydeKilmacolmJohn Knox celebrates first Protestant Communion in Scotland at Finlayston
1565East RenfrewshireBarrheadMarriage of Henry, Lord Darnley to Mary Queen of Scots.
1565RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Lords of the Congregation (a group of Protestant, Scottish nobles, who were against the marriage of the young, Catholic Mary Queen of Scots to the Dauphin of France) assembled at Paisley. They retreated to Hamilton as royal troops advance from Glasgow .
1572East RenfrewshireBarrheadRevd. Patrick Hamilton, first minister of the combined parishes of Neilston, Mearns and Kilbarchan.
1574East RenfrewshireBarrheadA Scripture Reader is a ppointed to Neilston Parish. The Parish school is under the control of the Scripture Reader.
1574East RenfrewshireNeilstonScripture Reader in Neilston Parish. Parish school, under Scripture Reader.
1576RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Grammar School was founded. It was originally sited in School Wynd.
1578InverclydeKilmacolm2nd seige of Duchal Castle - Lord of Duchal forced out by Cunninghame of Finlayston.
1588East RenfrewshireBarrheadPlague and Famine in Neilston Parish.
1588RenfrewshirePaisleyThere was a severe outbreak of the plague in Paisley.
1588East RenfrewshireNeilstonPlague and Famine in Neilston Parish.
1589InverclydeInverkipInverkip - Auld West Kirk
1592InverclydeGreenockGreenock was established as a fishing village by this time, when it separated from the Inverkip parish.
1596East RenfrewshireEagleshamEaglesham transferred to Presbytery of Glasgow
1597InverclydePort GlasgowNewark Castle, at Port Glasgow, was developed into a Renaissance mansion by Sir Patrick Maxwell
1600 - 1610InverclydeGreenockThe first pier was built in Greenock.
1603East RenfrewshireBarrheadUnion of the Crowns.
1617RenfrewshirePaisleyJames VI (James I of England) visited Paisley Abbey.
1618RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley town council built a Town's Hospital in High Street.
1637East RenfrewshireEagleshamJames Woodrow, Prof of Divinity at College of Glasgow, born Eaglesham. Father of Robert, Historian and Minister of Eastwood 1703.
1645InverclydeGreenockThe pirate Captain Kidd was born in Greenock.
1645RenfrewshirePaisleyThere was another outbreak of plague in Paisley.
1650East RenfrewshireBarrheadCromwell in Glasgow. Sermon by Revd. Zachary Boyd.
1655InverclydeKilmacolmEarl of Glencairn admits to fathering 3 illegitimate children to 3 women in the parish. His confession and repentance were read to the congregation of Kilmacolm, while he was imprisoned for plotting to restore Charles Stuart to the throne.
1658RenfrewshirePaisleyThe magistrates of Paisley purchased the town and its privileges from William Lord Cochrane, the Lord of Paisley.
1660InverclydeKilmacolmRestoration of Charles II to the Throne. Kilmacolm minister James Alexander and others were ejected from the parish for refusing to acknowledge supremacy of the King in religious matters. New minister preaches to empty church.
1661InverclydeKilmacolmEnd of longest feud in Scottish history between Cunninghame of Finlaystone and the Montgomerys of Eglington
1665RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley was granted a charter by Charles II which confirmed the burgh's lands and privileges.
1666East RenfrewshireBarrheadCovenanters muster at Shitterflats near Beith, Rullion Green. Local Covenanters rounded up and shipped to America. Ship was wrecked on Orkney Islands.
1666East RenfrewshireNeilstonCovenanters muster at Shitterflats near Beith, Rullion Green. Local Covenanters rounded up and shipped to America. Ship was wrecked on Orkney Islands
1667InverclydePort GlasgowGlasgow's town council purchased 18 acres of land around Newark Castle from Sir George Maxwell for the construction of a harbour and breakwater. This became Glasgow's first deep-water port and Newark became known as Port Glasgow.
1668InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow was created a burgh.
1672East RenfrewshireBarrheadConventicles at Mearns, Eaglesham and Lochgoyne.
1672East RenfrewshireEagleshamConventicles at Mearns, Eaglesham and Lochgoyne.
1676East RenfrewshireBarrheadConventicles at Communion Hill, Neilston.
1676East RenfrewshireNeilstonConventicles at Communion Hill, Neilston
1677 - 97RenfrewshirePaisleyDuring this period a considerable number of alleged witches were executed at Paisley from all over Renfrewshire.
1680InverclydeKilmacolmCovenanters - the "Killing Times" Earl of Glencairn heads highland troops to seek out ministers and leaders of the Covenanters. Those caught are tortured, transported or executed..
1685RenfrewshirePaisleyTwo farmers named James Algie and John Park, from the neighbouring parish of Eastwood, were executed at the Cross of Paisley, on February 3rd, for refusing to take the oath of abjuration (accepting the king's authority).
1685East RenfrewshireEaglesham1st May, Eaglesham Covenanters murdered for refusing to acknowledge the kings position in the church.
1690RenfrewshirePaisleyAn Act of Parliament was passed allowing Paisley to hold two additional annual fairs.
1693InverclydePort GlasgowFrom this time the new town of Port Glasgow was laid out in a grid pattern.
1695RenfrewshirePaisleyThe population of Paisley was recorded as 2,200.
1695 - 1703East RenfrewshireBarrheadSeven black years of famine in Levern Valley.
1696InverclydeKilmacolmJames Brisbane, minister, says he has evidence of witches and warlocks on the moor above Kilmacolm. (Also plays a part in the 1696 Bargarran Witch Hunt)
1699InverclydeGreenockThe fleet intended to establish the colony of New Caledonia, a Scottish colony on the Isthmus of Panama, sailed from the port of Greenock. The 'Darien Scheme' was a disaster and when the fleet arrived in Panama, in November, the majority of its passengers were ill or dead.
18th CenturyEast RenfrewshireEagleshamEaglesham Parish School, situated in Gilmour Street, had average attendance of 73
1707InverclydeGreenockGreenock's facilities made it the main port on the West Coast and it prospered due to trade with the Americas, importing sugar from the Caribbean.
1710InverclydeGreenockThe first proper harbour was constructed.
1710InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow was made the principal custom-house port on the Clyde.
1710RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley was described by Hamilton of Wishaw as, "a very pleasant and well built little town".
1711InverclydeGreenockScott's Shipyard was established. This was the first of the well known Greenock ship building companies to be formed.
1712East RenfrewshireBarrheadPatronage Act. Principal heritor of Neilston Parish is the sole patron.
1715East RenfrewshireBarrheadJacobite Rising. Renfrewshire Militia hunts Rob Roy.
1722RenfrewshirePaisleyThe manufacture of white sewing thread, made from linen yarn, was introduced in Paisley by Christian Shaw.
1729East RenfrewshireBarrheadNeilston Society of Dissenters links up with Mearns.
1729East RenfrewshireNeilstonNeilston Society of Dissenters links up with Mearns  
1733East RenfrewshireEagleshamPolnoon Lodge built, hunting lodge of the Montgomeries
1736InverclydeGreenockJames Watt, the pioneer of the steam engine, was born in Greenock.
1738East RenfrewshireNeilstonAlexander Moncrieff preaches dissent in Neilston  
1740East RenfrewshireNeilstonFamine in Neilston Parish  
1744RenfrewshirePaisley93 thread mills had been established in Paisley by this date.
1745East RenfrewshireBarrheadJacobite Rebellion. Renfrewshire Militia present at the battle of Falkirk. Robert Maxwell of Dubbs present.
1745RenfrewshirePaisleyDuring the Jacobite rebellion Paisley raised a company of militia to support the forces of George II. As a result the town was fined £1000 by Prince Charles Edward Stuart when he arrived at Glasgow.
1747East RenfrewshireBarrheadLocal seceders join up with Greyfriars Secession Church, Shuttle Street, Glasgow.
1750East RenfrewshireBarrheadBranch parochial school in Lower Levern.
1750East RenfrewshireBarrheadStewart Wilson builds a cottage on the Lowndes Estate. Name "Barrhead" used for the first time.
1750East RenfrewshireBarrheadBranch parochial school in Lower Levern.
1750East RenfrewshireBarrheadStewart Wilson builds a cottage on the Lowndes Estate. Name "Barrhead" used for the first time
1756RenfrewshirePaisleyA new Tolbooth was begun at the Cross, on the site of the medieval tolbooth.
1756InverclydeKilmacolmKilmacolm Holy Fair - the 'Kilmacolm Preachings' scene of rioting after drinking binges.
1757RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Abbey grounds were first feued by Lord Dundonald.
1759RenfrewshirePaisleySilk gauze production was introduced in Paisley.
1762InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow's original graving dock (dry dock) was built. It was the first of its kind in Scotland
1763East RenfrewshireClarkstonGreenbank House in Clarkston built, Category "A" listed Clarkston 
1765East RenfrewshireBarrheadBleaching introduced to Lower Levern
1765InverclydeGreenockSugar refining was begun in Greenock.
1765East RenfrewshireEagleshamLinn Cottage, Eaglesham; built as huntsman's cottage
1769East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe historic Weavers Cottage at 84 Main Street was built.
1769East RenfrewshireEagleshamEaglesham Village re-built 1769 as a planned village
1770East RenfrewshireBarrheadCalico Printing introduced at Corsemill
1772East RenfrewshireClarkstonMap shows that Greenbank Estate covered much of present day Clarkston
1773East RenfrewshireBarrheadFereneze Printfield; later "Boyd's Field"
1779RenfrewshirePaisleyThe new town of Paisley was founded by the 8th Earl of Abercorn on the east side of the river, on the former site of the Abbey gardens.
1780East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlee House (now used by the local council) was built by Gavin Ralston, owner of the Arthurly estate.
1780East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Dovecothall spinning mill, the earliest cotton mill on the River Levern and the second oldest in Scotland, was built. The building was finally demolished in 1970.
1780East RenfrewshireBarrheadLevern Mills opened
1780East RenfrewshireBusbyCotton Spinning Mill erected at Busby
1781RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone was founded by landowner George Houstoun to accommodate his mills. The town centre was laid out in grid pattern around Houstoun Square and Ludovic Square.
1784RenfrewshirePaisleyAn infirmary was opened in Bridge Street.
1786East RenfrewshireBarrheadCharles Tenant used bleaching powder at Waulkmill.
1786 - 91RenfrewshirePaisleyThe River White Cart was made navigable for ships drawing up to five feet of water.
1787RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Bank was established.
1789East RenfrewshireThornliebankAlexander and James Crum bought small muslin factory from Robert Osborne; continued as Calico Printers until 1893 when it passed to Calico Printing Association
1790East RenfrewshireBusbyLower Mill, Busby built by James Doxon
1790sRenfrewshirePaisleyThe manufacture of Paisley shawls, for which the town became renowned, were introduced.
1791RenfrewshirePaisleyThere were 137 thread mills operating in Paisley.
1791East RenfrewshireEagleshamEarl of Eglinton has a cotton mill constructed on the Orry
1792East RenfrewshireNeilstonCrofthead Mill, Neilston constructed by Stewart, Orr & Co.
1792 - 1794RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone High Parish Kirk, in Ludovic Square, was built.
1796InverclydeInverkipInverkip - Ardgowan House
1796East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Associate Secession Church opened.
1796East RenfrewshireBarrheadIrish immigration begins after the Battle of the Diamond
1796East RenfrewshireBusbyBusby House originally built 1796, Durham Kippen commissioned "Greek" Thomson to remodel and extend the house in 1856
1796East RenfrewshireThornliebankWalter Crum of Thornliebank born, son of Alexander Crum, pioneered application of chemistry to calico printing.
1798East RenfrewshireEagleshamRobert Pollok, poet, born 19th Oct at North Moorhouse
1799East RenfrewshireBusbyBusby House (Dr Moore's home) originally built 1799, demolished 1960's
1801InverclydePort GlasgowThe population of Port Glasgow according to the census was 3,865.
1802RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley's first public library was established.
1802East RenfrewshireEagleshamFirst gas lamp erected in area, Gas Works Lane
1803InverclydeInverkipInverkip - Road Built
1805InverclydeInverkipInverkip - Present Church Built
1806InverclydeGreenockThe Royal Navy started awarding contracts for shipbuilding to Greenock.
1808East RenfrewshireBarrheadMansion House of Arthurlie built by Gavin Ralston.
1808RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Philosophical Society was founded.
1810RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal was initially opened for a passenger service between Paisley and Johnstone. On November 10th the the Paisley Canal Disaster occurred. A crowd of people waiting to board a boat at Barclay's dock surged forward in an
1812RenfrewshirePaisleyThe linen thread industry had declined substantially following the introduction of cotton thread, and by this date only 12 mills, producing linen thread only, were still operating in Paisley.
1812InverclydePort GlasgowThe first commercial steam vessel in Europe 'Comet' was built in Port Glasgow.
1814East RenfrewshireEagleshamWilliam Gemmill, local sculptor, born in Eaglesham
1818East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie House built on instruction of Henry Dunlop, mill master of Levern Mills.
1818InverclydeGreenockThe Greenock Custom House, designed by William Burn, was built.
1818RenfrewshirePaisleyThe (County Square)County Buildings were built.
1819East RenfrewshireBarrheadDemonstration at Meikleriggs Moor, Paisley. Contingent from Neilston present, headed by the Levern Instrumental Band.
1819RenfrewshirePaisleyA body of Chartists from Glasgow clashed with police whilst marching through Paisley. Serious rioting ensued which lasted for several days.
1819RenfrewshirePaisleySt George's Church in George Street was built.
1820East RenfrewshireBarrheadTurnpike Road from Glasgow via Barrhead to Irvine, Kilmarnock and Ayr. Tollhouse at Dovecothall.
1824East RenfrewshireBarrheadMasonic Lodge, "Union and Crown" opened
1825East RenfrewshireBarrheadLevern Mechanics Institution
1827InverclydeInverkipLoch Thom constructed
1827InverclydeGreenockLoch Thom was built, a reservoir which provided a water supply to the rapidly expanding seaport of Greenock via 'The Cut' aqueduct. It was named after its designer Robert Thom.
1830East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Fair in existence
1831East RenfrewshireBarrheadMasonic Lodge, "Union and Crown" opened. 
1832RenfrewshirePaisleyThere was an outbreak of cholera in Paisley.
1832InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow was made a parliamentary burgh as part of the Kilmarnock Burghs constituency.
1833East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Gas Company
1833East RenfrewshireGiffnockNellie's Toll or Eastwood Toll was established.
1834RenfrewshirePaisleyThere was another outbreak of cholera.
1835East RenfrewshireGiffnockSandstone first quarried in Giffnock  
1836InverclydeInverkipInverkip School Built
1839RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Commercial Bank was established.
1840East RenfrewshireBarrheadBourock Parish Church was built after the site was gifted by the Earl of Glasgow in 1838.
1840RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone railway station was opened by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway, on July 21st.
1840RenfrewshireJohnstoneThe original Milliken Park railway station was opened as 'Cochrane Mill' by the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway. It was renamed Milliken Park in 1853, and was closed to passengers in 1966.
1840RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Gilmour Street railway station was opened, in July, on the Glasgow, Paisley, Kilmarnock and Ayr Railway.
1841East RenfrewshireBarrheadBourock Church opened - Revd. Alexander Salmon.
1841East RenfrewshireBarrheadSt John's Roman Catholic Church opened. Revd. James Purcell. 
1841East RenfrewshireBarrheadSouth Arthurlie Printfield acquired by Zecariah Heys. Bourock School under "Stumpy" Cochrane. St John's Roman Catholic Church opened. Revd. James Purcell
1841InverclydeGreenockGreenock Central railway station, in Cathcart Street, was opened.
1841RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway was opened in March.
1842East RenfrewshireBarrheadBursting of the Glanderston Dam, 30 Dec 1842. Seven people drowned
1843East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Disruption. Barrhead Free Church founded.
1844East RenfrewshireNeilstonMorrisonian congregation meeting in Neilston  
1845East RenfrewshireBarrheadMorrisonian congregation meeting in Neilston.
1845East RenfrewshireBarrheadNew system of Poor Relief. Poor house opened in Busby.
1845RenfrewshireJohnstoneSir George Reid, who became Prime Minister of Australia in 1904, was born in Johnstone.
1845InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow parish was created, in the county of Renfrewshire.
1845East RenfrewshireBusbyNew system of Poor Relief. Poor house opened in Busby 
1845 - 1849East RenfrewshireBarrheadGlasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Railway. Opened 1849.
1845 – 1849East RenfrewshireNeilstonGlasgow, Barrhead and Neilston Railway. Opened 1849.
1846East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe South Church was built to house the Free Church congregation which broke from the Established (Bourock) Church at The Disruption of 1843.
1848East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Railway Station was opened after the line from Glasgow was completed.
1848RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley suffered yet another outbreak of cholera.
1849InverclydeInverkipCholera Strikes Inverkip
1850sEast RenfrewshireGiffnockMansion House, now Eastwood House, built
1850InverclydeGreenockA sugar refinery was established in Greenock by John Walker.
1851East RenfrewshireBarrheadVictoria Pit Disaster, Nitshill.
1851East RenfrewshireBarrheadBourock Clock and Bell installed. John Shanks was contractor for sheet-metal and plumber work
1851InverclydeKilmacolmPopulation of Kilmacolm in terminal decline -suggested village would be deserted within 10 years.
1853East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe bell of Bourock Parish Church was installed by public subscription. It was rung on weekdays to mark start and finish times in the mills and printfields.
1853East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe railway from Barrhead was extended to Neilston.
1853East RenfrewshireBarrheadMorrisonian Church opened in Arthurlie Street
1853RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Herald newspaper was launched.
1854East RenfrewshireGiffnockGlasgow coal mining firm, Baird & Stevenson, took over quarrying operations at Giffnock  
1856East RenfrewshireBarrheadJohn Shanks, Plumber in business in Main Street
1857East RenfrewshireBarrheadPolice Force in Barrhead
1858East RenfrewshireGiffnockThornliebank House, first Birkenshaw House, later Rouken Glen Mansion House, reconstructed by Walter Crum.
1859East RenfrewshireEagleshamEaglesham House built at Riverside for the Gilmour Family, who bought the lands in 1844
1860RenfrewshireJohnstoneFive miners at the Benstone coal-pit, Johnstone, were drowned after water from old workings flooded the mine.
1860RenfrewshireJohnstoneThree miners were killed in an explosion of fire damp at the Benstone coal-pit, Johnstone.
1860InverclydeKilmacolmlocal Police force established.
1861East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Barrhead Co-operative Society was officially inaugurated.
1861East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Young Men's Mutual Improvement Association.
1861East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Co-op established
1861InverclydePort GlasgowThe population of Port Glasgow according to the census was 7,214.
1864RenfrewshirePaisleyRobertson's, the renowned preserve manufacturer, was founded by Paisley grocer James Robertson.
1864RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Gazette newspaper was launched.
1865InverclydeInverkipInverkip Railway Opens
1865East RenfrewshireBarrheadGorbals Water Works. Gravitational water supply to Barrhead
1866East RenfrewshireBarrheadShanks & Co Ltd opened as a small brass foundry in Foundry Brae, off Main Street. It went on to become one of the most important works in Barrhead.
1867InverclydeInverkipInverkip Station opend
1867East RenfrewshireBusbyGlasgow to Busby, then East Kilbride, railway line opened by Busby Rail Company
1868East RenfrewshireBarrheadShanks and Company. Tubal Works, Main Street.
1869East RenfrewshireBarrheadCardinal Manning visited St John's Roman Catholic School in Water Road
1869InverclydeGreenockGreenock's Nelson Street prison was built.
1869RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Tolbooth at the Cross was demolished.
1869InverclydeKilmacolmRailway passes through Kilmacolm and station opened. Population doubles within 30 years.
1869InverclydeKilmacolmVillage begins to be be imporved through the building of mechants villas.
1869 - 1871RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Museum and Library, in High Street, was built.
1871East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Barrhead Co-operative Society building in Main Street was built.
1871East RenfrewshireBarrheadAllan Rodger, Headmaster of Barrhead Public School under the Parish of Neilston School Board. Barrhead Young Man's Christian Association.
1871RenfrewshirePaisleyThe population of Paisley according to the census was 31,892.
1873East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe railway from Barrhead was extended to Kilmarnock.
1873 - 1874InverclydePort GlasgowA new larger graving dock (dry dock) was built at Port Glasgow, replacing the original of 1762.
1874East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie Football club was founded, they are one of the oldest clubs in Scottish football.
1874InverclydeGreenockGreenock Morton Football Club was founded.
1875East RenfrewshireBarrheadShanks and Company, Sanitary Engineers.
1876East RenfrewshireBarrheadCross Arthurlie School. Headmaster, Alexander Jamieson.
1876RenfrewshirePaisleyThe burgh lunatic asylum was built.
1876InverclydeKilmacolmInstallation of Gas Street lighting
1877RenfrewshirePaisleySt. Mirren Football Club, based in Paisley, was founded.
1877East RenfrewshireUplawmoorFormer Uplawmoor Primary School built, now used as library and youth club
1877East RenfrewshireThornliebankThornliebank School opened   
1879RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Town Hall (the George A. Clark Town Hall) was built.
1890'sEast RenfrewshireGiffnockResidential Giffnock began to develop around the station and Eastwood Toll
1880East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie Football Club formed
1880InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow Athletic Football Club was founded.
1880East RenfrewshireClarkstonSt Joseph's RC Church in Clarkston is built
1881RenfrewshirePaisleyThe population of Paisley according to the census was 55,638.
1881RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Good Templars' Hall was built.
1883InverclydeKilmacolmEsablishment of a telegraph service in the village.
1884RenfrewshirePaisleyThe new County Buildings and Sheriff Courthouse, in St James's Street, was built.
1884RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley's Masonic Hall was built.
1885RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone North station was opened as a terminus on the Paisley Canal Line by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. The station was later made redundant by the opening of the Kilbarchan Loop and replaced by a new Johnstone North station in 1905.
1885RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Glasgow, Paisley and Ardrossan Canal was closed.
1885RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Canal railway station was opened.
1886InverclydeGreenockThe Municipal Buildings, surmounted by the 245ft high Victoria Tower, were opened.
1887East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe population of Barrhead was 7,495.
1887East RenfrewshireBarrheadGrahamston Public School opened; headmaster, James Maxton Senior.Residential Giffnock began to develop around the Station and Eastwood Toll
1888East RenfrewshireBarrheadJames Maxton M.P. moves to Barrhead
1889East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Salvation Army began operating in Barrhead.
1889East RenfrewshireBarrheadToll Bar at Dovecothall abolished.
1890 - 1900InverclydeGreenockBy the end of the century, around 400 ships a year were transporting sugar from Caribbean holdings to Greenock.
1892East RenfrewshireBarrheadKate Cranston marries John Cochrane, Ironmaster and Barrhead's third provost
1892East RenfrewshireGiffnockGas first introduced to Giffnock  
1892East RenfrewshireGiffnockRhuallan House built for William Brown, a coal merchant.
1893InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow Athletic F.C. joined the Scottish Football League in Division 2.
1893East RenfrewshireThornliebankAlexander Crum dies
1894East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead was given Burgh status.
1894RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Thomas Coats Memorial Church, designed by Hippolyte Jean Blanc, was built.
1894East RenfrewshireThornliebankCrum Memorial Library opened
1895East RenfrewshireBarrheadNeilston Parish Council established
1895RenfrewshireJohnstoneCochrane Castle Golf Club was established in Johnstone.
1895East RenfrewshireGiffnockRedhurst House built of local Giffnock brick by Mr & Mrs Yuille
1895East RenfrewshireNeilstonNeilston Parish Council established
1896East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie F.C. defeated Celtic 4-2 in the first round of the Scottish Cup.
1896RenfrewshireJohnstoneA tower was built, just off Auchengreoch Road, by the Laird of Johnstone, on the site of an earlier castle occupied by the Cochrane family, former Earls of Dundonald.
1896RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Central Institution was founded. It later became Paisley College of Technology.
1896East RenfrewshireGiffnockOrchardhill Church opened, "B" listed building.
1897East RenfrewshireBarrheadDiamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Celebrations for school children at Fereneze Braes.
1897East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie defeated Celtic in first round of Scottish Cup.
1897East RenfrewshireBarrheadLast shallow well filled in.
1897RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley and Barrhead District Railway was incorporated.
1897East RenfrewshireThornliebankCrum Memorial Library formerly opened 5th January 1897
1897East RenfrewshireThornliebankPresent Thornliebank School building opened 5th January 1897
1899InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow Athletic F.C. reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup.
1900InverclydeInverkipGas Supply arrives in Inverkip
1900East RenfrewshireBarrheadBoer War
1900East RenfrewshireBarrheadMafeking Night celebrations.
1900East RenfrewshireEagleshamRobert Pollok monument unveiled at Loganswell, 24th Sept
1901InverclydePort GlasgowThe population of Port Glasgow according to the census was 16,888.
1901East RenfrewshireBusbyBusby Printworks closed down 
1902East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Municipal Chambers and Burgh Court Hall, Barrhead’s administrative centre, were built.
1902East RenfrewshireBarrheadCalico Printers Association acquired Heys Print Works.
1903InverclydeKilmacolmInstallation of first mains sewerage system in the village.
1904East RenfrewshireBarrheadPaisley Tramways reached Barrhead
1904East RenfrewshireBarrheadLevern Mechanics Institution acquired by Barrhead Co-operative Society.
1904East RenfrewshireBarrheadDeath in office of Provost Zechariah John Heys.
1904East RenfrewshireGiffnockWilliam Graham Crum sold Rouken Glen Estate to Cameron Corbett M.P. for Glasgow, later Lord Rowallan
1904InverclydeKilmacolmEstablishment of an electicity company
1905RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone North railway station was opened on the Dalry and North Johnstone Line by the Glasgow and South Western Railway. It closed to passengers in 1955.
1905East RenfrewshireGiffnockFirst tram to Giffnock  
1906East RenfrewshireBarrheadBarrhead Higher grade School opened as an extension of Barrhead Public School. Allan Rodger, first headmaster
1906East RenfrewshireBarrhead1st Barrhead Company, The Boys Brigade formed.
1906RenfrewshirePaisleySt Matthew's Church, at the junction of Gordon Street and Johnston Street, was built.
1906InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow Athletic F.C. reached the semi-final of the Scottish Cup, having beaten Rangers in the quarter-finals.
1906East RenfrewshireGiffnock1st May, Lord Rowallan donated the grounds of Rouken Glen to the Corporation of Glasgow for the people of Glasgow - officially opened 26th May.
1907InverclydePort GlasgowThe Ferguson Shipbuilders yard was established at Port Glasgow.
1908East RenfrewshireBarrhead1st Barrhead Troop, Boy Scouts formed.
1908East RenfrewshireBarrhead1st Barrhead Company Girl Scouts formed.
1909InverclydePort GlasgowNewark Castle was passed into state care. It is now a property of Historic Scotland.
1909East RenfrewshireClarkstonMacTaggart & Mickell associated with building in Clarkston since 1909
1910East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Masonic Lodge in Cochrane Street was built.
1910East RenfrewshireBarrheadCowan Park bequested by James Cowan of Rosshall
1910InverclydeGreenockGreenock's Nelson Street prison was closed.
1910East RenfrewshireThornliebankPaisley District Tramways Co. opened Barrhead to Spiersbridge line.
1911East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe population of Barrhead according to the census was 11,387.
1911East RenfrewshireBarrheadCowan Park was officially opened. It was a gifted to the town by Mr James Cowan of Rosshall, a successful businessman originally from Barrhead.
1911East RenfrewshireGiffnockLast horse bus between Newton Mearns and Eastwood Toll Newton Mearns
1912InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow Athletic F.C. folded.
1914East RenfrewshireGiffnockLord Weir bought Eastwood Estate including Mansion House.
1914 East RenfrewshireBarrhead5th August - Outbreak of First World War. Mobilization of "G" Company, 6th Argyll and Sutherland highlanders.
1918InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow became part of the West Renfrewshire parliamentary constituency.
1919East RenfrewshireBarrheadFollowing the Housing Act of 1919, which promised to improve inadequate living conditions, Barrhead Council built 110 houses on Arthurlie Street. It was later named Weir Avenue after the sixth Provost of Barrhead, Alexander Bryce Weir.
1920InverclydeInverkipInverkip - Daff Reservoir
1921East RenfrewshireBarrheadArthurlie Football Club moved to their present ground, Dunterlie Park in Carlibar Road.
1921InverclydeGreenockThe population of Greenock according to the census was 81,123.
1921East RenfrewshireClarkstonFirst tram to Clarkston
1922East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe War Memorial in Cowan Park grounds was unveiled.
1922InverclydeGreenockGreenock Morton Football Club won the Scottish Cup, beating Rangers 1-0 in the final at Hampden Park.
1926RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Russell Institute was built.
1926RenfrewshirePaisleySt. Mirren F.C. won the Scottish Cup for the first time.
1926InverclydeKilmacolmElectiric Street lighting is established.
1929East RenfrewshireEagleshamThe Orry, land bought by Eaglesham Parish Council from Angus Gilmour
1929East RenfrewshireThornliebank24th Dec - Thornliebank Printworks closed
1931RenfrewshirePaisleySaint Mirin's Church, in Incle Street, was completed. It replaced the original church of 1808 and was elevated to a cathedral in 1947.
1932InverclydeInverkipElecricity arrives in Inverkip
1934East RenfrewshireGiffnockGiffnock Synagogue in May Terrace is built
1934-35East RenfrewshireGiffnockWilliamwood scheme built
1936East RenfrewshireGiffnockTudor Cinema built by Alex Frutin, on Fenwick Rd where Safeways now stands
1936 - 38East RenfrewshireGiffnockOrchard Park scheme built
1940InverclydeInverkipInverkip Marina Excavated
1940InverclydeGreenockThe French Destroyer Maillé Brézé blew up off Greenock with heavy loss of life following an accident involving her own torpedoes.
1940East RenfrewshireBusbyWW2 - Canons removed from outside Duff Hall - used for making munitions
1940East RenfrewshireThornliebankCrum Library used as a Forces canteen
1941InverclydeGreenockDuring World War 2, the Greenock Blitz took place, on May 6th and 7th, when 300 German bombers attacked the town aiming for the shipyards. 280 people were killed and over 1,200 injured. Large areas of the centre and east were completely destroyed with 10,
1941East RenfrewshireEaglesham10th May, Rudolf Hess, 48 years old, landed in field near Floors Farm, Eaglesham
1946RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Paisley Pirates ice hockey club was founded.
1947RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Diocese of Paisley was created and St Mirin's Church elevated to cathedral status.
1948InverclydePort GlasgowThe Port Glasgow Juniors Football Club was formed as Port Glasgow Athletic Juveniles F.C.
1950RenfrewshireJohnstone St. David's Primary School and Cochrane Castle Primary School were built.
1951InverclydeInverkipInverkip Council Estate Built
1951East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe population of Barrhead according to the census was 12,971.
1951InverclydeGreenockIBM established a plant in Greenock.
1951RenfrewshirePaisleyThe population of Paisley according to the census was 93,711.
1951InverclydePort GlasgowThe population of Port Glasgow according to the census was 21,618.
1953East RenfrewshireClarkstonLast tram to Clarkston 5th July
1955RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone railway station was renamed Johnstone High, in June.
1955RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone North railway station was closed to passengers in March.
1957East RenfrewshireGiffnockRhuallan House gifted by the British Legion to the District Council in 1957
1959RenfrewshirePaisleySt. Mirren F.C. won the Scottish Cup for the second time.
1960sRenfrewshirePaisleyThe County Buildings in County Square were demolished, along with other buildings, as part of Paisley town centre redevelopment.
1960sRenfrewshirePaisleyThe new Paisley Civic Centre, designed by Sir Basil Spence, was built.
1960RenfrewshireJohnstoneThe old Johnstone High School in Ludovic Square was destroyed by fire.
1960East RenfrewshireEagleshamEaglesham becomes a listed village
1960East RenfrewshireGiffnockLast gas lamp disconnected, now at 272 Fenwick Road
1962RenfrewshireJohnstoneJohnstone High railway station reverted to its original name of Johnstone, in September.
1962East RenfrewshireGiffnockEastwood Toll reconstructed
1963East RenfrewshireGiffnockThornliebank House, later Rouken Glen Mansion House, demolished
1965RenfrewshireJohnstoneThe present Johnstone High School was opened in March.
1966RenfrewshireJohnstoneThe original Milliken Park railway station was closed to passengers in April.
1967RenfrewshireJohnstoneSt. Cuthbert's High School was opened.
1968East RenfrewshireGiffnockCounty Council bought 60 acres of Eastwood Park and Mansion House -Eastwood House
1969InverclydeGreenockScott's was nationalised and merged with Lithgow's the same year becoming Scott Lithgow.
1970InverclydeGreenockNational Semiconductor started running a silicon wafer manufacturing plant in the town.
1970 - 80InverclydeGreenockThe heavy industries declined and three shipyards were closed - Cartsburn, Cartsdyke and Klondyke.
1971East RenfrewshireClarkston21st October, gas explosion in Clarkston shopping centre, 22 killed 
1973InverclydeInverkipKip Marina Opened in Inverkip
1974InverclydeGreenockThe UK parliamentary constituency of Greenock and Port Glasgow was created.
1974InverclydePort GlasgowThe Greenock and Port Glasgow parliamentary constituency was created.
1975InverclydeGreenockGreenock's pedestrianised Hamilton Way shopping area was created.
1975RenfrewshirePaisleyUnder the Local Government Act (Scotland) 1973, Paisley Burgh was abolished and Paisley became part of the newly created Renfrew District in the Strathclyde region.
1975InverclydePort GlasgowUnder the Local Government (Scotland) Act 1973, the Port Glasgow burgh was abolished and Port Glasgow became part of the newly created Inverclyde district of the Strathclyde region.
1976East RenfrewshireClarkstonGreenbank House, Clarkston gifted to the National Trust for Scotland
1979InverclydeInverkipInverkip Power Station opened
1981InverclydeGreenockThe Rt Hon Dr Jesse Dickson Mabon (Labour MP for Greenock) resigned from the Labour party on October 1st and joined the SDP.
1983InverclydeGreenockIn the General Election of June 9th Labour regained the seat of Greenock & Port Glasgow from the SDP.
1983RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley Canal railway station was closed to passengers.
1983InverclydePort GlasgowIn the General Election of June 9th Labour regained the seat of Greenock & Port Glasgow from the SDP.
1985East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Levern Church (near Hurlet) closed. Its congregation then merged with that of the South Church to become South and Levern Parish Church.
1985East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe Constitutional Club building, once used as the Salvation Army Citadel, was demolished.
1987RenfrewshirePaisleySt. Mirren F.C. won the Scottish Cup for the third time.
1987East RenfrewshireGiffnockThe Thumb retirement flats built at Eastwood Toll
1989RenfrewshireJohnstoneThe present Milliken Park railway station, serving the west of Johnstone, was opened in May
1990RenfrewshirePaisleyThe Labour MP for Paisley North, Allen Steele Adams, died on September 5th. In the subsequent by-election Kathleen Adams held the seat for Labour with a majority of 3,770 over the SNP's W. A. R. Mullin.
1990RenfrewshirePaisleyThe present Paisley Canal railway station was opened.
1991InverclydePort GlasgowThe population of Port Glasgow according to the census was 19,426.
1992East RenfrewshireBarrheadDespite a campaign to prevent its demise the renowned Armitage Shanks company was finally closed.
1992RenfrewshirePaisleyPaisley College of Technology became the University of Paisley.
1995East RenfrewshireEagleshamStatue House, Eaglesham acquired by Eastwood Council
1997InverclydeGreenockThe UK parliamentary constituency of Greenock and Inverclyde was created. It had formerly been Greenock and Port Glasgow.
1997InverclydeGreenockThe Tate and Lyle refinery closed, bringing to an end Greenock's 150-year connection with sugar manufacture.
1997InverclydePort GlasgowThe Greenock and Port Glasgow parliamentary constituency was abolished and Port Glasgow again became part of the West Renfrewshire constituency.
1999InverclydeGreenockGreenock and Inverclyde (Scottish Parliament constituency) was created.
2001East RenfrewshireBarrheadThe population of Barrhead according to the census was 19,813.
2001InverclydeGreenockThe population of Greenock according to the census was 45,467.
2001RenfrewshireJohnstoneThe population of Johnstone according to the census was 16,468.
2001InverclydePort GlasgowThe population of Port Glasgow according to the census was 16,617.
2002East RenfrewshireBarrheadEast Renfrewshire Council Offices were officially opened on November 16th by Councillor Owen Taylor
2004RenfrewshirePaisleyThe estimated population of Paisley was 72,970.
2005InverclydeGreenockThe UK parliamentary constituency of Greenock and Inverclyde was abolished and replaced by the Inverclyde constituency
2005InverclydePort GlasgowPort Glasgow became part of the newly created UK parliamentary constituency of Inverclyde
2006RenfrewshireJohnstoneSt. Cuthbert's High School was closed and, along with St. Brendan's High School, became part of the larger St. Benedict's High School.
2010RenfrewshirePaisleySt Mirren Football Club was beaten 1-0 by Rangers in the Scottish League Cup Final at Hampden Park, in March